Thursday, 8 March 2012

Racism and Stereotypes in Advertising

What images shocked or bothered you the most? What is your reaction to the more recent stereotypes? Have we changed? Can you find any other stereotypes that impact your age group?

I was shoked when I saw these advertisements, because I never realized how racist some of these ads were. Right away I could pick out the stereotype that was being presented. Which shows that I have heard or seen these stereotypes before.

All of the ads were offensive, but I found the black stereotypes were the worst. They changed the spelling of some of the words to make it look/sound different. By doing this they are making black people illiterate and grouping them together, and not even considering them as people. They were treated horribly and they were forced to do all the work for white people.  

Now a days, there are still stereotypes and racism. Its everywhere. Not just in advertisements. In the magazine advertisements I found the stereotypes more 'hidden'. I think people are more aware of the issue, so they try to hide it even more, so it is unnoticed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment